[Pic 1] Minllyn Quarry - Upper
Mills level (1995)
Minllyn, Like a lot of quarries, began life as an open hillside working until developement in the 1870's expanded
the workings undergound. The main output throughout its life (up to final closure in 1925) was slabs - which were reduced first in a Mill
located up at the main workings (Upper Mill - see Pic 1 above) and then latterly in the newer (Lower) valley floor Mill. As can be seen the Upper mill
is very ruinous but much of its layout is still visible. The exit tramway ran past the small weighbridge building and then curved to the right of
the big main tip en-route to the long exit incline down to Dinas Mawddwy and the lower mill.
[Pic 2] Minllyn Quarry - Main exit incline winding house (1995)
From the Upper Mill area a long
steep incline dropped down to valley floor level. This later connected to the Lower mill - especially after at least two adits
were opened below Upper mill level, each joining via short tramways to the incline below its summit, and all product from these merely descended
to the newer mill rather than being uphauled to the older. Pic 2 (above) shows the derelict remains of the inclines
winding house, which had typical stout stone walls, but little else remains.
[Pic 3] Minllyn Quarry - Tramway route to the exit incline (1989)
As mentioned earlier, from the Upper mills area a tramway ran
slightly down hill to the exit incline. This also passed, near the incline summit, the opening into a chamber roof below - seen in pic 4.
This chamber was one of possibly several (mentioned earlier) that were below the Upper mill level but only one is now accessibly
and contains the remains of a fallen internal bridge.
[Map M1] Minllyn Quarry - Location Map
(Continued on Page 2)